TRUMP ADMINISTRATION IMMIGRATION POLICY PRIORITIES
The Trump Administration is ready to work with Congress to achieve three immigration policy objectives to ensure safe and lawful admissions; defend the safety and security of our country; and protect American workers and taxpayers.
BORDER SECURITY: Build a southern border wall and close legal loopholes that enable illegal immigration and swell the court backlog.
· Fund and complete construction of the southern border wall.
· Authorize the Department of Homeland Security to raise and collect fees from visa services and border-crossings to fund border security and enforcement activities.
· Ensure the safe and expeditious return of Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC) and family units.
· End abuse of our asylum system by tightening standards, imposing penalties for fraud, and ensuring detention while claims are verified.
· Remove illegal border crossers quickly by hiring an additional 370 Immigration Judges and 1,000 ICE attorneys.
· Discourage illegal re-entry by enhancing penalties and expanding categories of inadmissibility.
· Improve expedited removal.
· Increase northern border security.
INTERIOR ENFORCEMENT: Enforce our immigration laws and return visa overstays.
· Protect innocent people in sanctuary cities.
· Authorize and incentivize States and localities to help enforce Federal immigration laws.
· Strengthen law enforcement by hiring 10,000 more ICE officers and 300 Federal prosecutors.
· End visa overstays by establishing reforms to ensure their swift removal.
· Stop catch-and-release by correcting judicial actions that prevent ICE from keeping dangerous aliens in custody pending removal and expanding the criteria for expedited removal.
· Prevent gang members from receiving immigration benefits.
· Protect U.S. workers by requiring E-Verify and strengthening laws to stop employment discrimination against U.S. workers.
· Improve visa security by expanding State Department’s authority to combat visa fraud, ensuring funding of the Visa Security Program, and expanding it to high-risk posts.
MERIT-BASED IMMIGRATION SYSTEM: Establish reforms that protect American workers and promote financial success.
· End extended-family chain migration by limiting family-based green cards to include spouses and minor children.
· Establish a points-based system for green cards to protect U.S. workers and taxpayers.