Impeachment Trial Day 1 Recap
Yesterday marked day 1 of President Donald Trump's impeachment trial in the Senate.
The day was spent with partisan fighting between Democrats and Republicans as the two sides sparred to determine rules that would govern the trial process.
Here are a few quick points to keep you up to date with everything going on:
- President Trump’s legal team was able to make their first arguments in the impeachment saga after being shut out of the entire House process
- President Trump’s legal team: Pat Cipollone, Jay Sekulow, Alan Dershowitz, Ken Starr, Robert Ray, Pam Bondi, Jane Raskin, Eric D. Herschmann
- House Impeachment Managers: Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-NY), Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-NY), Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Rep. Val Demmings (D-FL), Rep. Sylvia Garcia (D-TX), Rep. Jason Crow (D-CO)
- 11 Amendments proposed by Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer to call witnesses and subpoena documents from the White House, State Department and other administration officials were voted down 53-47 along party lines
President Trump’s legal team blasted impeachment as unconstitutional, stating that President Trump has been denied basic rights to due process up until this point, having been denied:
- The opportunity to cross-examine witnesses
- Access to evidence
- Legal counsel at hearings
- The Senate deliberated late into the night, finally approving a set of rules that mimic the Clinton impeachment precedent, along party lines just before 2 A.M.
The stage is set, and the trial can now begin. After ramming an unconstitutional impeachment hoax through the House of Representatives, President Trump and his legal team will have the opportunity to show the world the truth about the impeachment hoax, and clear his name.
Click Below to Share this with your friends!